Blog Entry

I am Grateful - Because of the Heat

Wednesday 16 June 2010 by PD , under ,

Child Labour


It is that time of the year again where stepping out for a minute or so will make you drench in sweat. Where temperatures can reach up to 50 deg. Cel. and the AC of your car will not throw cool air so easily.

And we all complain. Even if it isn't on our lips, we're thinking, 'Gosh, this heat' and hoping temperatures magically cool themselves.

However this heat also develops in me this feeling of truly being greatful for what I do have. For the coolness the roof of my house provides for me, for the AC and fan in my room, for the cold water-cooler in my kitchen. A gracious 'Alhamdulilah' slips out from my lips.

Driving one day I saw labourers sleeping under a shade of trees on a sunny afternoon and there I was, in my Nissan with the AC turned up high and still thinking about how 'hot it was'. Going into Dubai Mall parking the other day I saw the Man who handles the ticket box in the parking fanning himself with a plastic paper. And there are those who clean your car for a minimum 20 DHS with sweat dripping from their backs.

Allah azza wa jal says in the Qurán in Surat Ibrahim Verse 34:-

  وَآتَاكُم مِّن كُلِّ مَا سَأَلْتُمُوهُ ۚ وَإِن تَعُدُّوا نِعْمَتَ اللَّهِ لَا تُحْصُوهَا ۗ إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَظَلُومٌ كَفَّارٌ

And He gave you of all that you asked for, and if you count the Blessings of Allah, never will you be able to count them. Verily! Man is indeed an extreme wrong-doer, - a disbeliever. 
How grateful are we for God has given us? For the blessings he has given us but we take for granted. 

So next time the sweat drips down your back, instead of complaining, say, 'Alhamdulilah'.

2 Responses to 'I am Grateful - Because of the Heat'

17 June 2010 at 11:01

Comment by Al-ain Rose.

It breaks my heart to see kids not being able to live and enjoy their childhood, the simplest right of theirs... way too early for such troublsome life I think..but that's the case in most poor country.

But it's waaaay tooo veery extremely hot ova here lol
well god forgive us all for bitching about the silliest matters every single day in our lives...I do it alot.

24 June 2010 at 22:01


Thank you for reminding just how blessed I am for having things I never even asked for!